From: Jo Walling [mailto:jo.walling@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 8:56 AM
To: Wael Diab; mike_mccormack@TI.COM
Subject: PoE/PoEP and Cable performance

Hi Wael and Mike

Attached you will find a letter and an published article on a cable problem which is of prime importance to you (this paper has been published in the 51st  Proceedings of IWCS/Focus in 2002 on pages 622-632).  If you need a conversion into a pdf file, please get back to me with the proper instructions of how and what to do.

I am certainly a bit frustrated to act always as your devils advocate!  I hope at least since Waels presence at the Kona meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/Sc25 WG3 the safety issue will be properly addressed by IEC.  -  Though I do not yet see any relevant work in this sense in the US.  UL seems to have been addressed with this problem, but it is the NFPA, which is controlling the NEC which has to address this problem.  It is - I hope it will never occur - basically an insurance question and the avoidance for your customers that the insurance companies are making their preferred sideways arabesque.
In Canada I still have very much difficulties to get through at CSA to properly address ad resolve the issue.  But so far I did not give up yet!

Kind regards,

Jo Walling

Dr.-Ing. J.- H.(Jo)  Walling
Consultant