[8023-POEP] Fw: Rejected posting to STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Robert E Lounsbury/Cleveland/RA/Rockwell on 07/08/2009 06:53 AM -----
"IEEE LISTSERV Server (15.5)" <LISTSERV@xxxxxxxx>

07/08/2009 06:47 AM

Bob Lounsbury <relounsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Rejected posting to STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your posting to the STDS-802-3-POEP list has been rejected by the content
filter. Your email appears to have unacceptable proprietary claims.

----- Message from Robert E Lounsbury <relounsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Wed, 8 Jul 2009 06:47:16 -0400 -----
To:
thompson@xxxxxxxx
cc:
owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx, STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Re: [8023-POEP] Liaison letter from IEC TC65/SC65C/JWG10 - Power over Ethernet performance in industrial environments

Hello All,

As I read the email thread, I see one consistent theme that tells me that there is a misconception. Please read the liaison letter and respond to the questions.  As for the damaged device, you are all making an assumption that this was incorrectly designed.  I can tell you that it is not, it fully meets and was certified to the 802.3 specification.  It has a 150 ohms (75 + 75, Bob Smith Termination) between pairs 12, and 36. This is NOT in the 19K to 29K range as defined by PoE.  I see a need in the spec for warnings to designers regarding not having impedances in the signature range throughout out the specification.

Regards

Rockwell
Automation
Bob Lounsbury
– Principal Engineer

  Control and Visualization Business
  1 Allen-Bradley Drive, Mayfield Heights, OH. 44124

  Tel:    +1.440.646.4297

  Fax:   +1.440.646.3076

  Cell:   +1.440.610.4485

  email:
relounsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Geoff Thompson <thompson@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx

07/07/2009 07:53 PM
Please respond to
thompson@xxxxxxxx

STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [8023-POEP] Liaison letter from IEC TC65/SC65C/JWG10 - Power over Ethernet performance in industrial environments

Folks-

Dan is correct here.
When we did 802.3af, we were very careful to pick a signature characteristic that wasn't within the specified or common behavior of UTP applications.
What we didn't (and couldn't) do was pick something that was FORBIDDEN in each of those applications, especially 802.3 applications.

The piece we missed was we didn't (as a part of 802.3af or .3at) put advisory or normative text in each of the twisted pair applications within our scope to advise implementers of those twisted pair applications to avoid anything within their implementations (with special emphasis on those NOT doing PoE) to not do anything that would be confused with the detection of a signature network as specified in clause 33.

I am not as convinced as Dan that "
this is a maintenance issue though, and not an 802.3at issue."
This is all (admittedly arguably) a deficiency of the way we did the original standard, the enhanced standard has to less of an obligation to "protect its signaling space" for detection.  I'm willing to cut a little slack here though as we are so late in the process. On that basis alone, I am willing to consider doing it in maintenance.

I do feel that we should be able to quickly come up with advisory reference text to put into the UTP clauses that says something like:
Note-
Implementers are strongly advised to consider implications of the requirement for additional components and signal detection in the link segment. Please see 33.nn
and that the addition of such non-normative text should not slow down the progress of P802.3at.

Best regards,

   Geoff