48V bus topics

Title: RE: power delivery question from Liaison report
.

For phone infrastructure they use a -48V bus, supported primarily from an AC input converted to a -48V output that is isolated from the AC line. The secondary means of supporting the -48V bus is from a battery bank. The 2 sources are diode or-ed together.  In actuality the system sometimes runs off the batteries all the time and the AC source just keeps the batteries charged. Typical -48V bus design criteria call for the voltage range to be from 36 to 72V. Converters operating off this bus are designed to handle the input swing.
ALL STANDARD OFF THE SHELF PRODUCT NOW.

There are lots of folks that make modules that operate from a 48V (-48V) to produce an isolated output voltage (12v, 5v, 3.3v, etc). The main difference with the 802.3 requirement is going from -48V to a 55V output.  This is easily done with todays power technology but not commonly available, YET. Waiting on a standard I guess.

Regulation tolerance can easily be controlled to within +-5% at the source.  55 x 1.05 = 57.75, below the 60V SELV limit.
What the load will see depends solely on its current draw and the resistance of the power path. The PowerDsine team did an excellent job of describing the path resistive drop effects.

So what you will have in this scenario is a Power supply (module):
Vin=-36 to -72V
Vout=55V +-5% isolated
Iout=350mA current limited per port.

For multiple port powering there are folks who isolate each port and some who group several ports together. If each port needs isolation then to maintain the 5% regulation some sort of regulator module will be needed for each port.  If each port does not need isolation, say groups of 5 to 10, then the power supply design get easier, all you have to do is limit the current to each (probably using the circuit that actually applies power to the line after discovery).

Ed Walker
Technical Staff

Analog Field Applications
Texas Instruments Incorporated