RE: power delivery question from Liaison report

Title: RE: power delivery question from Liaison report

Sterling,

Ringing voltage is a special case for the safety agencies, and they even address it with different terminology - "TNV", Telephony Network Voltage. I think we can not apply the same telephony network requirements to the Ethernet network.

Rick,

A lot had been said about keeping the PD side "simple and stupid". In light of that, and in light of the fact that the PSE side will any way have to have hardware to control the current (inrush current, minimum current, real time power management etc.), I think the burden of this task you mentioned, keeping the maximum current below 350mA, should be on the PSE side. The maximum power capability is a derivative of the voltage and current limit, and will be a parameter to be taken into consideration during the design of any PD.

Avinoam Levy

PowerDsine Inc.

avinoaml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone (631) 756 4680 Ext. 305