Re: current limit on 48 VDC

Title: current limit on 48 VDC
Rick, I believe you are using the 350 mA as a worst case number when that was not the intention.  Let's look at the words from the SC25/WG3 Liaison report to us.
Referencing Document  ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 25/WG 3 N 602, page 2, carefully read both the response and the rationale.

Question 2: Allowable loop dissipation (temp rise in worst case
bundles), maximum temperature of cabling behind
the wall?
Response:
The maximum current for categories 5 and higher and classes D and higher
should not exceed 0,175 per conductor (0,35 A per pair) for ambient temperatures
up to 60 °C for solid cables (45 °C for 0,4 mm equivalent stranded cables).
Analysis assumes that conductor diameters of less than 0,4 mm (or equivalent)
are not used.
Note - No change required to 11801.

Rational

Assuming an allowed 40 °C rise for PVC insulating materials and an ambient
temperature of 25 °C, the current capacity of 0,5 mm (24 AWG) and 0,4 mm (26 AWG)
conductors is 2,1 A and 1,3 A respectively. Using the assumption that the total current in
all conductors of multiple conductor cables may not exceed 20% of the sum of the
individual ratings of all conductors, the current capacity for is:
Solid cable: 2,1 A * 0,2 = 420 mA per conductor
Stranded cable: 1,3 A * 0,2 = 260 mA per conductor
A maximum current of 420 mA per solid conductor allows for 840 mA per pair based on
an ambient temperature of 25 °C. Derating by a factor of 53 % (using the chart shown in
IEC 60603-7 from 25 °C to 60 °C) allows for a steady state current of 395 mA per pair.
This current assumes that stranded cables are exposed to ambient temperatures of
less than 45 °C. Connector current capacity of 0,75 A @ 60 °C per conductor as
specified in IEC 60603-7 is not the limiting factor.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle