From: RDLove
To: 802.3af
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 10:03 AM
Subject: Criteria for Evaluating Detaection Schemes

All, I have been working with Don Stewart and Rick Brooks to create a first pass at a decision matrix to establish the criteria for evaluating the two proposed detection schemes, "Resistive + diodes" and "Coupled diodes".  The matrix attached to his note as a .doc file, presents criteria, and then has boxes for listing the PROs and CONs for each detechion scheme.  In addition i thas space for notes regarding the discussion points.  The matrix does not include a weighting of the importance of the criteria.  That weighting will be left to each of us to develop and use with the decision matrix to determine which scheme is preferable.

This matrix should be considered a first pass.   If you have further proposed entries that you would like to see in the matrix, please develop your input stating which box(es) that input will fit into, and send it to this reflector.  I will take it and incorporate it into the matrix.  Note that it is acceptable to develop new criteria.

Special thanks goes to Don Stewart for doing the lions share of the work in developing the attached matrix.  However, that thanks goes with the understanding that proper balance and perspective demands that each of us with additional input bring that forward so that the final matrix will be a better balance of the entire knowledge base distributed among the members of this task force.

I will update the matrix (approximately weekly), based on the input received.  I have no particular ax to grind in favor of either detection scheme, and I will do my best to integrate the comments in as unbiased a way as I can.  I am strongly driven to see our task force come to a decision on this issue at the November meeting, and see this matrix approach to presenting the benefits and pitfalls of each approach as one good way to reach a decision.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@xxxxxxxx          Fax: 720 222-0900