RE: PSE vs. PD power dissipation again

At the risk of repeating some of this discussion, let me summarize the
PSE-PD dissipation issue as I see it. If I've made a mistake in any of the
following points, please correct me!

We seem to be split into two camps:

Inrush limit by PD:
- No dissipation in PSE, which means we can integrate multiple switches
- Requires inrush circuit in PD = more $$ in PD (amount of $ subject to debate)
- Puts power dissipation in PD FET always = bigger PD FET
- Requires rapid overcurrent disconnect in PSE
- A PSE with this design cannot power up a PD with no inrush limit

Inrush limit by PSE:
- Requires big FETs in the PSE to survive 500mA/100ms wire short
- Can power any PD - with or without inrush protection
- Dissipation can be in PSE, PD, or shared
- Must allow extended over-current faults before turn-off - adds to PSE
dissipation
- Can power big PD cap faster (500mA vs 350) if the PSE is sized to
dissipate the additional power

We need to endorse only one of these two, since they have mutually
exclusive features.

Option 1 really only has one compelling feature, which is low watts in the
PSE. We can integrate multiple option 1s in one chip. Multiple option 2s
can't be integrated without some accommodation - sequential turn on,
dynamically controlled current limit - something. There are secondary
benefits to option 1 - it won't power up non-inrush-controlled PDs, which
almost gets us the "second check" that Roger has been asking for, and it
won't put a heavy load on a power-managed PSE for long durations during a
wire short.

Option 2 has some nice features, most notably the ability to power up
nearly any PD. It can also ride out a brief short on the wire without
disconnecting the PD. A minor downside is that the PSE power supply must
absorb a fair-sized overload if a PD classified as a low power device (with
power allocated thusly) suffers a wire short. If we chose option 2, we
encompass a wider range of PD designs, including some very low cost
options. But it limits the ability to integrate multiple channels down the
road.

As an IC designer, I naturally favor option 1 - I'd like to sell PSE chips
with many integrated channels. As an engineer, I'm willing to weigh the
pros and cons of each (including ones I haven't thought of yet) and vote
for the best solution. Let's continue to air out the pros and cons until
Don's vote - coming soon, right, Don?

Dave