Re: PD with a PSE and a wall brick

Brian, Gerard,

I see it this way:

When the wall wart is unplugged, we'd like the PSE to be able to pick up
the slack seamlessly - this means the PSE must already have detected and be
providing some amount of power greater than the minimum. It need not cut
off the wall wart, however.

If the wall wart is plugged in while the PSE is providing power, we could
drop the PSE power to just above 10mA, or not - it's up to the implementer.
We don't want to allow the PSE to disconnect, or we'd need to redetect when
the wall wart went away, and the PD would lose power briefly.

I'd vote that this is implementation-specific and doesn't need to be in the
spec.

Related issue - we discussed in Irvine mandating that the RJ45 be
environment B with respect to any external terminals, including the wall
wart plug - this means we can't just diode-or the wall wart with the
incoming PSE power, right? It needs to be OR'd in after an isolated
switcher - which means it's part of a separate switching network. Other
interpretations?

This really is a power issue - did we ever set up a power reflector? Should
we debate this on the main reflector? Is there anyone who's on the main and
not on the detection reflector?

Dave

At 09:18 PM 4/19/2001 +0200, Gérard Vergnaud wrote:

>Brian,
>
>See my answers inserted in your mail.
>Regards.
>
>Gérard.
>
>"Lynch, Brian" a écrit :
>
> > I haven't seen much activity here lately, so I'll
> > warm up with a couple of questions regarding a PD, a PSE
> > and a wall brick.
> >
> > Scenario #1: If a PD is being powered by a PSE, and a wall brick is
> > then plugged in to the PD.
> >
> > Assuming that
> >         - The PSE had already detected/classified and is in
> >         full power ON mode
> >         -  And the PSE voltage may, or may not be, higher than the
> >         wall brick's output
> >
> > What should happen? The Spec says we can power from only one source.
> > So should the PD block the wall brick? Should it block the PSE?
> > Should the PD actively cause the current from the PSE to drop
> > below minimum so that the PSE shuts off?
>
>I think that when a power has been detected from the Ethernet link, then
>the power access from a wall brick must be disabled. For instance with
>a MOS-FET switching off the power from a wall brick.
>
> > Scenario #2: Now plug them in in the opposite order. First power the PD
> > from the wall brick, and then plug in the PSE. I assume we don't
> > want the PSE to detect. Is this correct?
>
>Same answer : as soon as a power is detected from the Ethernet link, then
>the PD doesn't accept power from a wall brick.
>Regards.
>
>This is also a mean avoiding motorboating problem at PSE side.
>
> > Brian

*****LINEAR TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION*****
*****Internet Email Confidentiality Footer*****
This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail
messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible
for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information
contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you
have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify me by
reply e-mail, or by telephone at (408) 432-1900, extension 2593 and destroy
the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in
any manner.  Thank you.