RE: detecting a PD disconnection event

Yair, et al, wrt published papers the 802.5 LAN, as mentioned by Bob Love
yesterday,
is a good starting point as it uses precisly this method (cessation of sense
current) to
identify removal of a piece of LAN equipment, and take an action (circuit / port
by-pass
in a MAU). Note any such papers should precede dec 92 for legal reasons .....

my preference is still for option 1a. I can see it might be wise to have a
backup, but don't
much like any of the alternatives suggested, one thought I had that might help
1a, is:
     ensure that the PSE state machine & Power source takes no action on
current < threshold other than to let the current turn off, and the discovery
process begin
again (ie no alarms, no status reporting, no registers / MIBS - nothing other
than returning
to the discovery state). Obviously the status  of the PSE state machine can be
reported,
 but you cannot infer directly from this without refference to previous states
etc that a
piece of equipment has been removed. Other silly ideas: Allow the PD to have an
on / off switch which disconnects the PD's PSU (removes any explicit association
between cessation of current draw, and device removal).

regards , Nick
see you at the Bar ......

Yair Darshan <YairD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 29/04/2001 01:16:16

Sent by:  Yair Darshan <YairD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>