RE: insuring the stability of power delivery

for continuity, I'll reply at the bottom
Brian

[Brian Lynch] You are right that there is probably an LC filter
on the input of the PD for switching frequency as well as high
frequency filtering. There is also a low frequency aspect of the
input impedance which is partially a function of the closed loop
frequency response of the DC/DC converter and the load. As such,
you cannot state the impedance as "capacitive" or "inductive". You
simply have to plot the impedance as a function of frequency while
the equipment is operating. You can calculate the impedance, or
measure it.

Since PDs can be so varied, I recommend we concentrate on
determining the closed loop output impedance of a typical
range of PSE power supplies, and then add the cable (R&L)
and 3 to 5dB of margin and call that the lower limit for the PD.

I agree that this is a lot to comprehend, but this is how
distributed power systems are designed. Any time a DC/DC converter
is powered by a power supply, the same stability criteria has to be met.

Brian