From: Yair Darshan [mailto:YairD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 1:27 PM
To: Stewart, Donald S (Don); 'R karam'; 'Rick Brooks'; 'Schwartz,
Peter'; 'Dave Dwelley'; 'Lynch, Brian'; 'bruce.inn@xxxxxxxxxx'; 'Steve
Carlson'; 'AvinoamL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Cc: 'stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: Classification currents range

Guys,

It seems that the gaps between currents specified for various classes
of PDs during the classification procedure are too small and may produce
a measurement accuracy issue.

I am suggesting to change in the draft the numbers as described below:

Table 7  page 16 lines 25-39:

     Class1   8 - 10 ma
     Class2  13 - 16 ma
     Class3  19 - 23 ma
     Class4  27 - 33 ma
     Class5  37 - 45 ma

Table 7  page 16 lines 41:  1mA to 49mA
Table 7  page 16 lines 46:  10mA to 49mA

Table 7  page 17 line 5:  0.5mA to 13mA
Table 7  page 17 line 7:  10mA to  49mA
Table 7  page 17 line 9:  0.5mA to 19mA
Table 7  page 17 line 11:  23mA to 49mA
Table 7  page 17 line 13:  0.5mA to 27mA
Table 7  page 17 line 15:  33mA to 49mA
Table 7  page 17 line 17:  0.5mA to 37mA
Table 7  page 17 line 18:  45mA to 49mA

According to the above, table 3 should be changed to:
(Measured current method)

Class 1: 6.5mA to 11.5mA
Class 2: 11.5mA to 17.5mA
Class 3: 17.5mA to 25mA
Class 4: 25mA to 35mA
Class 5: 35mA to 47mA

Greater than 49mA: Invalid result, not a PD.

And table 4:(measured voltage method)

Class 1:  5mA - 8mA             V< 15V
          10mA-13mA             V>20V
Class 2:  10mA - 13mA           V< 15V
          16mA-19mA             V>20V
Class 3:  16mA - 19mA           V< 15V
          23mA-27mA             V>20V
Class 4:  23mA - 27mA           V< 15V
          33mA-37mA             V>20V
Class 5:  33mA - 37mA           V< 15V
          45mA - 50mA           V>20V

Comments?

Yair.

Darshan Yair
Chief   Engineer
> PowerDsine Ltd.  -  Powering Converged Networks
> 1 Hanagar St., P.O. Box 7220
> Neve Ne'eman Industrial Zone
> Hod Hasharon 45421, Israel
Tel:  +972-9-775-5100, Ext. 210. Cell: +972-54-893019
Fax: +972-9-775-5150