RE: [802.3af] Power isolation

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some direction on the issue of power isolation. The only reference I can find in draft 3 is Section 33.4.1, which states:

The PSE or PD shall provide electrical isolation between the port device circuits, including frame ground (if any) and all MDI leads.

I interpret this to mean that it is the vendors’ decision whether to implement power isolation in either PSE or PD. If this is the case, then you could end up with two vendors producing product that effectively gives a system with no power isolation at either end.

I suspect that I am missing the point!

I also note that both Maxim and PowerDsine are offering silicon solutions designed to switch power on multiple ports. This again implies that non isolated PSE is expected to be the norm.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

With regards,

Wayne Howell

Managing Director