Re: [RE] Overprovisioning limitations

Kevin,

My my perspective:

>> These developments may obsolete the "applications expand to fill
>> available bandwidth" argument.

That's been hypothesized many times in the past, and never been true.
Particularly when one considers multiple devices going through one
switch, and the multiplier that implies.

I don't find the argument that SW can't pump at those large rates
very convincing, particulary with Moore's law on processor speeds
and the ability of software to be fixed/bypassed when necessary.

As an interesting number, the link between a CPU and uncompressed
display (hope I didn't miss a decimal point :>):
  4.8Gbs = 2Mpixel * 32bits/pixel * 75 frames/sec

DVJ

David V. James
3180 South Ct
Palo Alto, CA 94306