Re: [RE] Stream identification at the MAC SAP

> Oddly enough, with Residential Ethernet (at least the way some
> of us have been envisioning it), you could really toss the PBX out
> the window without losing any quality of service.

Seems like people have already tossed the PBX out the window, and they're not having any problems.  So if that the benefit of RE, its a little late.

And all of those real-time and synchronized applications working great, and outside the scope of 802.  Which is (not coincidentally) one of my big questions about some of the work being investigated by this study group - why does 802 need to define isochronous services at all?

People have been running real-time and synchronized applications over Ethernet for a long time.  Timing issues are generally best addressed end-to-end at the application layer, and above L2.  Not everything has to be addressed within 802.3.

- Matt