From: owner-stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG]On Behalf Of Richard Brand
Sent: Thursday, 11 November, 2004 11:23 AM
To: STDS-802-3-RE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [RE] Stream identification at the MAC SAP

Jose:
802.9 is a good example for Bill's question.  I was a member of the 802.9 WG when the group completed the work on 802.9a (ISLAN16-T) and .9b which I forget the formal name, but defined the Access Unit AU which was the I/F to other network types.  This WG by the way is also in hibernation.  802.9a defined an interface between .9a TE's and servers to a .9b AU and we did take exception to providing compliance with 802.1 in our .9b AU PAR for the isochronous and multiservice modes of operation.  The third mode was the 10BASE-T mode which of course complied with .1.  The modes that incorporated isochronous traffic claimed compatibility to ITU-T defined ISDN transport and used the Q.93x family of signalling protocols.

As you state, the .9 group has been disbanded for many years and there has been no effort to to revise these documents.
Regards,
Richard Brand