Re: [RE] [REInterestGroup] Minutes of the subscription adhoc

David,

Who's setting the bridge for next week Tuesday and Wednesday's meetings?

Rgds,

Dirceu

David V James <dvj@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
Minutes by Felix Feng/David V James
Telerconference of
  Subscription Adhoc of
  IEEE 802.3 Residential Ethernet Study Group
2005June01 14:00-16:00 PST

Meeting ID:          802373
Toll Free (US Only): + 1 877-827-6232
International:       + 1 949-926-5900

Attending:
George Claseman         Micrel
Felix Feng*             Samsung
Geoffrey Garner*        Samsung
David James             JGG
Tom Mathey              Northern Data Systems
Eric Ryu*               Samsung
* via teleconference

Note:
If you were attending and have not been listed,
or observe error in the preceding listing, please
send correction instructions to feng.fei@samsung.com

1) Background
The Tuesday 2005May31 teleconference identified the need to
further discuss the topic of subscription, with the
desire for convergence. With this in mind, the Wednesday
2005Jun01 meeting time was allocated for this discussion.

2) Rough agenda:
   a) Felix's slides on SRP alternative design
      (20050526_Felix_GSRP_SRP.ppt)
   b) DVJ's white paper review (if time allows)
   c) General discussion

3) Slides on SRP alternative design:
Felix presented slides on an alternative design of SRP, which
is an elaboration of "the second example" in his presentation
at th! e 2005May Austin Residential Ethernet Study Group
interim meeting.

We discussed the deploying environment of SRP. In some scenarios
such as 802.17 LAN, the point-to-point assumption might not be true.
In those cases a full GARP participant state machine could be required.

A key distinction from the description of GARP is that the
registration protocol is asymmetric, as appropriate for
the 1-to-N talker-to-listener scenario. This might be doable,
although not currently described in GARP.

We discussed the possibility of merging part of GARP processes
with RESV signaling process. For example, we may use the
periodically RESV signaling as the LeaveAll messages of GARP.
We conclude this might be possible; it will be further studied.

General comments on this proposal are:

-It is similar to the proposal that was described in DVJ's white paper.
The listeners announce themselves, and the talker responds to them.
This new appr! oach integrated the response of talker with the
reservation
function. A resource locking difference is:
a) The DVJ white paper locks resources from listener-to-talker.
b) The Felix presentation locks resources from talker-to-listener.

-All preferred using distinct talker-to-listener control frames
(as opposed to data frame transmissions) as the talker-side
handshake indication:
a) This works even when data flows are interrupted
    - possibly more compatible with Congestion Management,
      or other protocols that reserve bandwidth for
      variable-rate (possibly bursting) transfers.
    - bursting and bunching no longer affect timeouts
b) Status/commands can be returned in the talker-to-listener
    direction.
    - this allows error status to flow towards the listener(s)
    - BW can be committed in ! the talker-to-listener direction.
      (This seems to be the preferred direction.)

-Many(talker)-to-many(listener) stream scenarios are possible,
although not necessarily needed.

Attendees provided various editorial comments, which were
acknowledged by the presenter and will be incorporated into
next edition of this presentation.

Tom Mathey was interested in whether a listener can listen
to multiple streams, possibly initiate by multiple talkers.
We clarified this was possible and necessary for RE.

4) DVJ's White paper review:
We noted the distinct protocols appear to be converging.
The lack of talker-to-listener messages was always a
concern in the DVJ proposal, and will now be assumed.
(No time left for further discussion.)

5) Next Subscription Adhoc meeting:
   Wednesday 2005June08 14:00-16:00PST
   a) Review of DVJ-edited working paper
      (as revised, based on today's discussions)
   b) Discussion of parameters within the messages

6) Reminder of next RESG conference call:
   Tuesday 2005June07 15:00-16:00 PST

Yahoo! Groups Links