RE: [LinkSec] comments on scope of effort

Dennis,
Of course it is important to understand the threats, this is just part of
the standarrd security lecture "First you have to understand your threats
..." unfortunately the lecture has been the same for the last 20 years (and
probably much longer), so it alone didn't get us anywhere (or rather it got
us just where we are today).

After that I part company with your analysis "each of the working groups an
design and implement solutions that meet the reqts but are tailored to
exploit properties that are unique to their network architectures". We don't
really have a network architecture per working group, they largely specify
MACs which are then connected by bridges (a .11 access point is a funny sort
of bridge, IMHO) and attached to by PCs (and other devices) that, if the
solution for any MAC other than 802.3 is to be viable, have a large amount
in common with how they treat MACs of different types, probably with largely
transparent roaming across a  number of the types. Moreover solutions have
to work with networks that comprise MACs of different types (Embedded
devices, or "silicon roaches", have a different set of cost and technology
drivers which means that the architecture has a challenge of not imposing
processing loads on links of certain MAC characteristics).

Howvever I certainly wouldn't want to discourage you from making forward
progress with your threat analysis. Having a number of people do real work
and then selecting from the best that emerges is often a better strategy
when there is a very wide range of perspectives and backgrounds than having
a larger number discuss what work should be done by others who don't share
their views.

Mick