RE: [LinkSec] Requirements

Comments in-line.

At 03:35 AM 12/11/2002, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
>David,
>
>Here are a few counter-arguments:
>
>1) 802.3 has declined in the past assuming the responsibility of starting
>such a work. At least part of the reason was that 802.3 felt it does not
>gather a critical mass of security expertise to deal with the multitude of
>issues and implications related to cryptography, authentication, and other
>similar technologies.

{DEH} It sounds like you're saying 802.3 can not justify this work being
done. If this is true, my suggestion is that the whole effort be dropped.
This is because the majority of the people asking for the work are out of
802.3. When the "802.3" people were asked they said, "Yeah, lets create a
general solution". It sounds like, "My Mom says I can't play this game in
my backyard, so how about if we do it in yours."

>2) In the New Orleans and Kauai meetings participants from several
>companies (including mine and yours - ask Norm Finn) expressed the view
>that it would be much easier to draw the attention of the security experts
>home if the scope of the work and targeted solutions would cover a broader
>range of technologies, rather than a narrow EPON scope

{DEH}I agree.

>3) The argument was made that a myriad of 802 architectural issues is
>involved, competing with the complexity of the technology issues.
>
>I agree that a 802 working group may take longer to specify a EPON
>solution. Minimizing this risk should be a goal of the future activity to
>be chartered. The advantage of defining a framework that includes the
>generic architectural principles and common technologies where possible,
>while allowing for focused MAC-specific development where needed is IMO a
>fee worth paying.

{DEH}I think this is where the I have a different opinion. imho, "defining
a framework that includes the generic architectural principles" will lead
to either a) an insufficient solution... so why bother making the solution
generic or b) a much longer than expected timeline

         Dave H.

Dave Halasz
Cisco Systems, Inc.
320 Springside Drive