FW: [LinkSec] Requirements

Jesse,

Well that's all very nice, but if you can't accomodate a bridge attaching to
a LAN within your secure architecture then it is going to be irrelevant
(again). If you want to separately authenticate all MAC addresses in the
network to all the access points that they might pass through that's nice
but it certainly isn't the solution that any of us working on MAN Service
provision with secured LAN access points would find scaleable, or just plain
workable.

By the way, I'm not talking about a new 802 architecture here, just the one
that happens to be deployed.

This all depends what you want to secure, and until we have a model of how
the network(s) of interest is put together at the system level - which means
at least LANs bridged together - I don't think we are going to make much
progress. If our vision on this project is limited to securing each possible
pairwise communication between MAC addresses representing the end points of
that communicationm I think we may rapidly conclude that all that was needed
was IPsec running at a higher layer.

Mick