RE: FW: [LinkSec] Requirements

In case I was obscure (more than usual) I should make it clear that I
believe any LAN security architecture should support protection over
vulnerable LANs/LAN segments where one (MAC addressed) end of the bridged
conversation is on an end station attached to a physically secured LAN, and
hence has no interest in implementing the LAN security protocol.

To do otherwise gives us a huge "can't get there from here" problem. This
would mean that the bridge I am considering would have to decrypt/encrypt
all conversations from its vulnerable to its invulnerable side, proxing for
the true M-SAP destinations.

Today's implementations of RSTP (Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol) can
reconfigure after failure in a few hundred milliseconds or better (I
consider two milliseconds per bridge in path to be achievable) in networks
where tens of thousands of conversations can be carried. That's a peak probe
issuance/response rate of ~10**5 per second. It is just such large networks
where the demand for security may be highest. The best bridges can (or
claim) to learn source addresses at line rate after reconfiguration, I don't
think anyone has an architecture which could issue/respond to probes at
anywhere close to that rate.

Mick