Re: [LinkSec] EPON security

Marcus,

FSAN is in the process of upgrading the security system of APON as they
define the mechanism for GPON specification. They do recognize that it is a
weak system. It was designed on 1995 with the intention of avoiding just
casual (non-sophisticated) intruders. And it relies on higher layer security
for strong protection. Also, the assumption was to consider the upstream a
secure channel. Therefore it only encrypts downstream but not upstream.

And going back to your question, it only supports point-to-point encryption.
Therefore, they do not support group keys.

We have members of FSAN in this list and they may be able to give you a more
recent summary of this activity. If you are interested in reading APON spec,
FSAN made it available to the 802.3ah participants. So it is available in
the private area of 802.3ah.

We talked a little in the Vancouver meeting about the need of multicast and
group keys at layer two. We decided that more discussion was needed to
decide whether it was needed or not. So let me turn it around to you and ask
for your, and other opinions, on the subject.

The issue was: Most of multicast traffic is encrypted at higher layer
because it is an actual service such as movies. Therefore, can we always
rely on higher layer encryption when there are multiple destinations of a
stream traffic? Opinions?

My personal feeling is that we cannot. However, I have not been able to find
an example yet. But, even if all applications today encrypt at higher layer,
the usage of these systems may evolve with new applications they do not.

There may also be an issue of demarcation, or provider responsibility. Do
the providers have the ability of saying to their customers that they
provide secure point-to-point communication but the security of multicast
service is the customers responsibility?

What is your opinion? Are there other factors to consider?

Dolors