[LinkSec] Scenarios and objectives

Attached are few slides for tomorrow's call. They try to summarize the state of the discussions representing all different perspectives we currently have in the group.

Slide 1 summarizes the scenarios the way this effort has evolved. We started with an EPON centric view (scenario 1), then we expanded the scope to cover multiple MACs (scenario 2), and now we are extending to cover bridged networks (scenario 3). This third scenario has clearly different perspective and it actually requires to look at the problem differently. And hence it takes a more time for some of us to visualize and understand the issues.

Slide 2 tries to summarize the scenarios from the business perspective. We have ample justification of the need of EPON link security scenario. But it is not clear to a lot of people yet the target applications of the new scenarios. It would be useful to summarize those. So I would like to all in the group, but to service providers in particular, feedback on the specific deployment scenarios that can be taken as examples for each scenario. Please send comments or specific examples related to this issue.

Slides 3 and 4 discusses levels of trust in scenario 3 and classifies the sub-scenarios based on the trust level.

Slide 4-5 tries to capture the issues for selecting the scope of the security associations. This issue is very important to define a common architecture across all scenarios in slide 1 and to decide/understand from what existing specifications we should leverage.

All comments, feedback or questions are appreciated.

Dolors

LinkSecScenarios.ppt