RE: [LinkSec] teleconf notes 4/15/03

I believe I agree with David, having read his comment a couple of times.
Other approaches (network survivability with untrustworthy intermediate
participants) is or was a resarch topic, possibly solved but not with the
level of implementation experience required for standardization.

I've thought a little about the network survivability/recovery requirements
in scenarios where the points to trust are not clear from the outset, and
for the moment I believe that we will inevitably come back to assuming that
all bridges are adjacent (i.e. they are either physically adjacent or there
is a secure tunnel subject to my next paragraph that has been already setup
and not modified by our efforts) and the bridges are all secured (by the
mechanisms we define). I've heard strong views that no one is going to
sacrifice the recent advances in rapid recovery etc. of layer 2 nets for
security, nor are those who have talked to me happy with the idea that the
customer gets a choice between up-time and security.

It also seems likely that we will make heavy use of tunnels because, in the
absence of the invention of YAPP (yet another policy protocol), most of what
gets said by authorized administrators to any pair of entities that
constitute a temporary network boundary (supplicant authenticator bridge
pairs in the .1X model) to set up the ongoing parameters of the permeable
membrane that boundary will form will be said in existing protocols. In this
context the Housely et al. RFC on the need for secure binding to the tunnel
to avoid the man in the middle attack seems to me to be the defining element
of the overall architecture (I think this was what Paul Congdon's
presentation last meeting was mainly saying). I apologise for not being able
to participate in the architectural telecons so far .. in the absence of
participating in these I so far believe that the setting up and binding to
these tunnels of subsequent conversations is going to be a major part of
"principles of operation" of the eventual solution.

I'd go along with Norm's suggestion that we treat untrusted bridges as
"down" (there are a number of ways of saying the same thing). Of course on
shared media that is not the end of the story, as they may bring the
attached LAN down as well.Some pragmatic drawing of the boundaries of
consideration (or non-consideration) of threats is needed here, particularly
for EPON. On point to point media of course this just the .1X model.

It may be argued that we should accomodate intermediate untrusted bridges
from the outset, taking such steps as putting the .1Q tag in clear as well
as protecting it. This is the standard standards approach and that of the
responsible reasonable engineer. Most of the progress .1 has made in the
past has been (IMHO) due to the ability to identify such never ending cases
of distraction and project enlargement and take an axe to them right from
the start.

Mick