From: owner-stds-802-linksec@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-linksec@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Russ
Housley
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 7:36 AM
To: Dolors Sala; Mats Näslund; LinkSec
Subject: Re: [LinkSec] Consensus on Scope?

Dolors:

I think that the only contentious issue is peer discovery.  Mick and others
have said that the probe approach specified by 802.10 does not scale.  No
convincing argument has been presented.  So far, it is just emphatic
assertion with the promise of a more complete discussion some time over a
beer.  I observe that the probe approach is not all that different than
ARP, so it cannot be too badly broken.

The link-by-link approach completely avoids peer discovery.  However, I am
not convinced that this approach really resolves any important
problems.  It seem to me that the device that is implementing the security
protocol will be placed in the hands of the customer.  If the customer
messes with it, can all traffic be exposed.  In an end-to-end scheme, the
key needed to expose neighbor traffic will not be present, significantly
reducing the motive for messing with the box.

Russ