[LinkSec] Authentication and 802.1X

I may have something wrong, and I thought that float an idea here and see if you all can correct me.

It seems to me that 802.1X does not do authentication, nor does it really do authorization.

Instead, it acts as a framework and a mediator for the actual authentication and authorization, both of which happen at a higher protocol level.

If that's true, then how in the world does the general industry talk about 802.1X authentication?  Wouldn't it have been better to term it 802.1X mediated authentication?

Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin