From: Russ Housley [mailto:housley@vigilsec.com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 11:11 AM
To: mick_seaman@ieee.org; 'LinkSec'
Subject: RE: Resend: Re: [LinkSec] Proposed Scope for LinkSec PAR

Mick:

>If the secured frame format does not use an Ethertype instead of a SAP then
>some company or companies will have to band together to produce an SFF
which
>does use an Ethertype (the only sensible way to cope with overlength
>frames). This SFF will then be usable for frames that satisfy the proper
>size limits, so will simply be the only one deployed.

I am not objecting to use of an EtherType.  In fact, when I worked on an
Ethernet encryption device at Xerox, we used an EtherType.  However, this
approach was not acceptable to IEEE 802 at the time that SDE was
developed.  I am glad to see that EtherType is no longer in disfavor.

>By chosing a new Ethertype we will be able to remove any traces of
>historical baggage, and will not have to allow as optional items that need
>to be mandatory. Options are an invitation to lack of testing and lack of
>interoperability, and should be avoided if at all possible.

In general I agree.  Options lead to complexity.  Complexity leads to
implementation errors.  Implementation errors in a security protocol lead
to insecurity.

Russ