Re: [802.1] Re: [LinkSec] "Wildcard" VLAN ID - ballot

There are currently two occurences of a match for "any VLAN-ID"

- in the DOCS-QOS-MIB

DOCSIS uses the Vlan Mask in a packet classification scheme where the
value zero means the VLAN-ID is not analyzed to match the tagged packet.

    docsQosPktClassVlanId OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX          Integer32 (0..4095)
       MAX-ACCESS      read-only
       STATUS          current

- In the framework PIB (draft-ietf-rap-frameworkpib-09.txt) I find:

    frwk802FilterVlanId OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX         Integer32 (-1 | 1..4094)
        STATUS         current
        DESCRIPTION
            "The VLAN ID (VID) that uniquely identifies a VLAN
            within the device. This VLAN may be known or unknown
            (i.e., traffic associated with this VID has not yet
            been seen by the device) at the time this entry
            is instantiated.

            Setting the frwk802FilterVlanId object to -1 indicates that
            VLAN data should not be considered during traffic
            classification."

RFC 2674 (Bridge MIB extensions) currently defines values in the range (1..4094)
for 802.1Q VLANs.  It also defines an unsigned32 textual convention that may be
used to identify an 802.1Q VLAN (1..4094) or a private VLAN (4096 and above).

The value '0' should not be used as a wildcard, as you may want to
match this value for an 802.1D Priority-tagged frame.

And looking ahead to the future, it would be better if the "any" value
were a non-negative value so that the type could be used to define an
index, in an SNMP table.  This would help for VLAN policy-like tables,
e.g. for a policy table which could assign a policy based on the VLAN-ID,
with a 'catch-all' value at the end of the table for anything not matched
by previous entries.

Les...

Norman Finn <nfinn@cisco.com> on 09/05/2003 21:54:34

Sent by:  Norman Finn <nfinn@cisco.com>