Re: [LinkSec] Meeting Last Week

Title: Meeting Last Week
Dan,

As always, the week after the meeting there is no call. Sorry I did not send the notice.

There is no call today.

We finalized the PAR material. The title, scope and purpose are as follows.

Title: MAC Security
(acronym: MACsec)

Scope:
To specify provision of connectionless user data confidentiality, frame data
integrity, and data origin authenticity by media access independent
protocols and entities that operate transparently to MAC Clients*. Key
management and the establishment of secure associations is outside the scope
but will be referenced by this project.

*As specified in IEEE Standards 802, 802.2, 802.1D, 802.1Q, and 802.1X.

Purpose :
This standard will facilitate secure communication over publicly accessible
LAN/MAN media for which security has not already been defined, and allow the
use of IEEE Std 802.1X, already widespread and supported by multiple
vendors, in additional applications.

The updated version of the 5 criteria is at: http://www.ieee802.org/linksec/meetings/Jun03/sala_1_0603.ppt

Tony will take the appropriate steps to forward the PAR to the SEC and other WGs for feedback.

The next steps are:
  - start discussing proposals for the secure frame format mechanism
  - continue discussing architecture models to address the other parts of the solution
    (i.e. key management,...)

Allyn will send more detailed minutes soon.

Hope this helps,

Dolors