From: owner-stds-802-linksec@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-linksec@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Marc Holness
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 11:56 AM
To: mick_seaman@ieee.org; 'Dirceu Cavendish'; stds-802-1@ieee.org; stds-802-linksec@ieee.org
Subject: [LinkSec] RE: [802.1] P802.1ad Task Group ballot disposition

Mick,

The number of local service instances supportable within an Island (as described in 802.1ad D1 draft) is still limited to 4094 (maximum). Yes, given a network composed of multiple small Islands and Interconnect Media, the overall network service identification space (e.g., VPN ID space) can be increased.

My read on comment #44 is a request to increase the number of local service instances within an Island. There is no suggestion of a globally unique ID.

It is probably highly desirable to potential users of this technology if they could deploy a single Island (or a minimum set) that can support a fairly large service instance space rather than multiple Islands and an Interconnect Media, etc.

Marc.