RE: FW: [LinkSec] updated handoff presentation

I think you have made a correct assesment. My suspicion is that we need
something in between a minimal PDU dump and a full blown reliable
transport.

Some of the information we MIGHT choose to pass around in the handoff
group includes..
	QoS capabilities
	Channel recommendations/assesments
	Authentication services
	Roaming agreements supported
	Upper layer services available (IPv4? IPv6? FmIP? ATM? Etc)
	Advertisments
	Pricing information
	Location Information
	Subnet boundary crossings
	Some way of assesing whether a DHCP lease is present on the VLAN
you're going to get if you connect
	Neighbour lists (encapsulating all of the above for neighbours)

There are probably many more that people could think up. The point is to
be extensible and let people find what is genuinely useful out in the
real world. I have no intention of the standard defining more than a
minimal information set, vendor proprietary regions and playpen regions
in the first instance.

Some level of sophistication might be required in being able to ask for
stuff. 'Dump all your data to me' is probably a bit coarse. 'Give me
data of this class' might be better. 'Preauthenticate me and here is my
credential' is getting quite daring. 'Would you accept my VoIP session
with the follow QoS constraints if I handed off to you' sounds scary to
me. There is obviously a line of inquiry to follow here to determine
what the semantics of the messaging should be, but certainly it should
be lightweight to fit in with my idea of a tasteful protocol and it
probably wants to be able to deal with messages that cross MPDU
boundaries.

My plane is boarding now...

DJ

David Johnston