RE: [LinkSec] Factoid: MIC size

Jesse:

You are right, I my message was nearly impossible to understand without a
lot of context that was in my head and not written in the message. Sorry.

I assumed that a replay mechanism is involved.  In particular, I assumed a
counter as is used in IPsec ESP.  Rekeying is needed to resent the counter.

As you point out, the probability that a randomly generated message will
have a valid MIC is 1/2^t, where t is the size of the MIC value in
bits.  This is independent of the key that is in use.

Thus, there needs to be a balance between the MIC value size and the
communications overhead.  In my opinion, 64 bits is the minimum.  In my
earlier message, I pointed out that the IPsec community selected 96 bits as
the norm.

Similarly, a balance is needed for the replay counter.  If it is too small,
then too much time is spent on key management.  In my opinion, 32 bits is
the minimum.  The IPsec community has an option to use a 64 bit counter to
support very high speed links.  This is really only needed if the high
speed link is fully consumed by a single security association, which is
exactly the environment that LinkSec (or MACsec) is addressing.

I hope my recommendations and rationale are more clear this time.

Russ