RE: [LinkSec] RE: Reminder: linksec call on Tuesday at 2:00pm ET

The tricky bit about characterizing pain, relative to PN size, is that
it is highly data dependent. It might be valid for us to take the
emprical packet size distributions for TCP on the public internet as a
model, however we would also need to accept the fact that it would be a
suboptimal model in pathological cases. Wired LANs are a fine example
where specific types of traffic exist that aren't common on the public
internet. E.G. X windows (lots of small transactions), moving multi GB
files (Lots of max-size packets with ACKs) or real time, fixed packet
size CBR traffic.

An interesting metric that I like to harp on about is the 'ease of key
retrieval'. Given you might have a stream cipher in a mode like CCM, it
is nice if you can have the cipher stream ready as the data arrives,
thus incurring no delay beyond the XOR gate and the inserted security
headers and trailers and saving you from having to buffer ciphertext at
the front of the MAC.

It turns out, in cases where you might have more than a small number of
keys, that key retrieval can be the major contributor to the likelihood
of being able to get the cipherstream started in time. If the
encapsulation allows you to get at the key by direct indexing, rather
than searching, then you are in good shape. So, for instance, a huge
SAID means it is useless for indexing into a small key table unless
there is some other information or structure in the SAID that allows you
to find the key in an algorithmically small time.

In situations where speed matters, this is an important but often
ignored issue. Check out 802.11i for an example of getting it wrong.

DJ

David Johnston
Intel Corporation
Chair, IEEE 802 Handoff ECSG