RE: voting membership rules

Tony-

The requirements for a Working Group quorum are defined in the 802
Operating Rules. They can not be diminshed for a WG by making a new rule
without the approval of the Exec.

In addition, I think it is a bad idea.

Geoff

At 07:55 AM 9/26/99 +0100, you wrote:

>I guess there is nothing stopping you from taking a vote at a plenary
>meeting to re-define the quorum for an upcoming interim...that way all of
>the quorum problems go away.
>
>Regards,
>Tony
>
>At 00:10 26/09/99 +0100, John Messenger wrote:
>>Roger,
>>
>>A useful way to deal with the likely unquorateness of interims is to
>>pre-authorise certain actions at the preceding plenary.  802.5 typically
>>takes a plenary vote to begin a ballot, and then another vote stating that
>>if a majority (sometimes 75%) of those voting at the interim meeting vote to
>>send a subsequent draft out for ballot, then it should go out to ballot.
>>We've used this to pre-authorise committee letter ballots and also
>>forwarding to LMSC.  There are some instances of this in our minutes at
>>http://www.8025.org/meetings/.
>>
>>Regards,
>>	-- John

|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
| E-Mail: gthompso@nortelnetworks.com     |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html