Re: Proposed Letter to CS SAB and IEEE-SA Standards on Electronic Balloting

I vote DISAPPROVE

The following changes will change my vote to APPROVE.

Remove the 2nd sentence of item 3. This "rider" is a different issue and
has nothing to with electronic balloting
(Yes, I do support line item veto)

Within item 1 we should require that the response to the "Invitation to
Ballot" be electronic. This would (a) REQUIRE the balloting service to move
forward to a new integrated database and (b) eliminate the burdon on those
conducting the ballot to perform the tedious step of verifying e-mail
addresses during formation of the balloting group.

Geoff

At 09:43 AM 12/19/99 -0600, Jim Carlo wrote:

>Per agreement at the SEC meeting, I am sending out letter for Electronic
>Balloting for review by the SEC prior to official submission. Please send me
>comments by 4Jan2000.
>
>To: Mike Binder   -  IEEE-SA Balloting Service
>Cc: CS Standards Activity Board
>Fr: Jim Carlo - Chair, IEEE 802
>
>The 802 SEC recommends that the entire LMSC Sponsor ballot process should be
>conducted electronically (via e-mail and web). The entire process includes
>ballot pool formation, ballot group solicitation and request, ballot group
>approval, ballot submission, vote collection and comment resolution.
>
>In order to implement Electronic Balloting, the attached procedures were
>developed by Bob Love (rdlove@ibm.com) for electronic ballot group formation
>and approval in order to verify and approve the individuals and their email
>addresses in the balloting group.
>
>Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) Cellular:1-214-693-1776 Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
>TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
>Chair, IEEE802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee
>
>ATTACHED PROCEDURES - Bob Love
>
>1. Noting that the most critical addresses of the people in the ballot pool
>are their email addresses, the entire process should be based on
>communication via those email addresses.  As such a critical first step is
>to obtain the correct email addresses of the people that have volunteered to
>participate in LMSC ballots.
>To do so, please send out a mailing to the entire group of volunteers
>notifying them that we are moving toward electronic balloting, and that
>supplying their correct e-mail contact information will be critical to
>maintaining their eligibility to participate in future sponsor ballots.
>The move to electronic balloting will require both email capability, and
>access to the web to download drafts, to submit comments, and to vote.
>Require the ballot pool volunteers send their full contact information
>including email address in response to this note.  (You can set this up by
>having them send the information electronically, which will facilitate your
>building a data base).
>
>2. At the time of ballot pool formation for any LMSC vote, conduct the
>ballot pool formation electronically only.  This way, all returns have
>guaranteed valid e-mail addresses at the time the pool is formed, and
>eliminates the requirement for the working group chairs to go through the
>additional address validation process.
>
>3. In the invitation e-mail make it clear that no hard copy materials will
>be made available to anyone.  Also make it clear that it is the
>responsibility of people that volunteer to participate to cast their vote
>(Approve / Do Not Approve / Abstain) in a timely manner, and that failure to
>cast their vote after volunteering is sufficient cause to remove their names
>from the overall 802 ballot pool.
>
>Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) Cellular:1-214-693-1776 Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
> [...]
|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
| E-Mail: gthompso@nortelnetworks.com     |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html