Re: FW: Proposed Letter to CS SAB and IEEE-SA Standards on Electronic Balloting

Jim-
Bob-

As one who frequently is in the situation of being a "reviewers but let
urgent work supercede good intentions." I don't like the current system.

I would like it to be a seaparated issue in order to get full discussion by
the Exec. I think that casting these folks aside too easily is a bad idea.
It may get ballots to close more easily but that is NOT the goal if we are
losing some of best reviewers by being too stringent about dumping them and
too difficult about letting them back on.

Getting whatever is approved by the Working Group approved is not the goal.
Quality Standards in the larger sense are the goal.

If Jim conducts the voting on an item by item basis I will support items 1,
2 & 3

Geoff

At 08:26 AM 12/21/99 -0500, rdlove@us.ibm.com wrote:

>Jim, I agree with Geoff that item 4 is not strictly relevant to the
>change-over to electronic balloting.  However, I believe that the
>establishment of guidelines is an excellent time to get this issue on the
>table.  Many people apparantly want to be reviewers but let urgent work
>supercede good intentions.  These are the people that make it painful for
>us to close ballots.  There is no good reason not to include this statement
>in the note.
>
>Geoff, if you have a reason why this statement is inappropriate in any note
>sent out to potential LMSC balloters, please voice the concern.  I find the
>fact that the note is not strictly focused on electronic balloting only is
>too weak an arguement to remove it.
>
>Jim, Geoff, I would welcome opening up this discussion to the EXEC and, if
>necessary, having a "line item" vote on it.
>
>Best regards.
>
>Robert D. Love
>Program Manager, IBM ACS - US
>Chair IEEE 802.5 Token Ring Working Group
>IBM
>500 Park Offices                   Phone: 919 543-2746
>P. O. Box 12195 CNPA/656           Fax: 419 715-0359
>Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA    E-Mail: rdlove@us.ibm.com

|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
| E-Mail: gthompso@nortelnetworks.com     |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html