rule change proposal to accommodate standards distribution plan

I propose a change to the "OPERATING RULES OF IEEE PROJECT 802 LAN
MAN STANDARDS COMMITTEE (LMSC)" and would like agenda time at the
November Plenary to present my proposal.

In accordance with the procedure, I have discussed this issue with
the LMSC Vice Chair.

The procedure requires me to specify:

a) The purpose, objective, or problem the proposed change is intended
to address.

To broaden the rules so as to permit the use of the Treasury in
support of the publication and dissemination of 802 standards.

b) The specific text of the rule change and the rationale for the chosen text.

>Add Item 4 following "The purpose of having a LMSC treasury is to:"
>(within "Procedure 1: USE OF LMSC FUNDS") as follows:
>4. To support the publication and dissemination of standards.

The rationale for this change: Recent straw polls indicate that 802
participants strongly support the use of 802 funds in the publication
and distribution of standards, and the SEC, in July 2000, approved
such a plan in principle. The current rules permit the use of the
Treasury to "Expedite the setting of LAN/MAN standards, e.g. printing
of draft standards and conducting ballots." However, publication and
dissemination are not part of "setting" standards.

Roger

--

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov>
Chair, IEEE 802.16 WG on Broadband Wireless Access <http://wirelessman.org>