RE: need help on 802 standard naming conventions

Geoff:

I like the format you described and would be happy to use it.
However, the title of IEEE Std 802.3, 1998 Edition, as copied off the
PDF, is actually:

>Information technology-
>Telecommunications and information exchange between systems-
>Local and metropolitan area networks-
>Specific requirements-
>Part 3: Carrier sense multiple access with collision detection (CSMA/CD)
>access method and physical layer specifications

This includes a bunch of stuff you didn't mention and that I could do without:

>Information technology-
>Telecommunications and information exchange between systems-
>Specific requirements-

Where did this language come from, and who needs it?

Roger