Re: [802SEC] +++ LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++ WG Voting Rules

At 10:56 -0700 2005-02-10, <pat_thaler@agilent.com> wrote:
>Roger,
>
>The rules of how a quorum is counted are in Robert's rules. In the
>absence of any alteration in our rules, that is what would apply so
>there isn't an ambiguity. Without checking that reference, I believe
>the quorum count is made on the number of people in the room at the
>time of a quorum call is made. If you believe despite this there is
>still ambiguity in a quorum, then your change wouldn't resolve the
>ambiguity because it still requires a quorum for some meetings.

Pat,

I disagree. My proposal says "Otherwise, a quorum is required; this
may be established by the attendance at the session by at least half
of the membership." I think this clarifies the issue by stating that
quorum is established for the session as a whole, based on attendance
at the session as a whole, so it does not come and go during the
week. I'm perfectly open to further clarification.

>A Working Group (or any other body) authorizing a subgroup to act on
>a particular subject is entirely valid and is an established
>practice both generally and within our process. For instance, most
>802 Working Groups delegate some work to task forces and the
>Standards Board operating manual mentions ballot resolution and
>interpretations subgroups. It is entirely different in scope from
>allowing a Working Group meeting to act on any business at interims
>without a quorum.

Any of these approaches may be established practices, but they are
not stated in the P&P.

>Furthermore, I don't think 6 months advance notice is nearly enough
>to meet what was intended by "time and place is established well in
>advance". I know roughly when the IEEE 802 plenaries will occur
>years in advance. Generally I know the established time and place
>well over a year in advance.

I'm open to discussing the definition of "well in advance".

>I also think it is important that certain things are limited to 3
>times a year. We have members who are interested in subjects that
>are not currently under active work. It is helpful to their ability
>to monitor their interests to know that they can do that by
>attending the three plenaries a year.

I don't quite understand this point. Anyway, certain things are
certainly limited to 3 times a year, because certain things (such as
significant new PARs) require a plenary.

>I also think that it is important for plenaries to have a different
>status than interims. Plenaries are where are members are exposed to
>the work across 802 rather than only their topics. There are groups
>that have shown the ability to progress work rapidly with interim
>task force meetings and plenary working group meetings.

I don't mean in any way to suggest that every WG should have interim
WG meetings or that they are required for rapid progress.

Roger