Re: [802SEC] Fwd: P802.16g Disapproval Notification

Tony,

Thanks for taking a look at the details. I appreciate another
perspective.

I don't agree that failure to discourage amounts to encouraging. I
don't control the voters. Obviously, I'll make a stronger effort in
the future to encourage people to use myBallot. But the only way I
can see to definitively make that work is to simply say that I'll
refuse to accept comments otherwise. I have been always been under
the impression (based on my reading of the IEEE-SA rules, and on what
I have learned from experienced people over the years) that I don't
have the right to do that. Am I wrong?

I could say the following: "You are strongly encouraged to submit
through myBallot; otherwise, we will still accept your comments, but
approval of the resulting ballot may be jeopardized." This may
motivate some people. Others may ignore the advice simply because
they are accustomed to comment tools that are much more effective and
convenient than myBallot. But the major problem is with Disapprove
voters. If they are really opposed to progression of the draft, then
this position provides them an incentive to bypass myBallot and
thereby block progress at RevCom. In other words, I can't count on
Disapprove voters to follow my words of encouragement.

I've used the myBallot process only a few times, far fewer than you
have. I believe that the method by which I addressed the back-door
comments was basically equivalent to what we did in the pre-myBallot
days. I think that was a transparent process. But I recognize now
that RevCom has gotten used to the myBallot way of doing things and
now has adjusted to a different view.

We'll adjust too. But I still feel caught in procedural ambiguity. I
understand that the Operations Manual says "the Sponsor shall make a
reasonable attempt to resolve all comments." To my knowledge, it
doesn't say anything about dismissing non-myBallot comments. But I
think that perhaps this is what RevCom is telling me I have to do.
This is why I say that I feel either direction is risky.

Roger