[802SEC] additional question on the indemnification topic

Dear EC members,

At the July plenary session the IEEE SA offered the following document for public posting in regards to the questions the 802 EC had on the IEEE indemnification policy (e.g., what constitutes duly authorized activity, what is an IEEE-SA program, etc.)  : https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/14/ec-14-0055-00-00SA-responses-to-ieee-802-queries-17jul2014.pdf

Another question regarding indemnification that I believe we need clarification on is as follows: assume the IEEE decision is affirmative and indemnification is granted, at what point in time is indemnification received and how is it implemented?  The IEEE BoD decides on whether or not to grant indemnification, but when is that decision made?  Do you receive indemnification when a legal action or proceeding against a volunteer becomes known or soon thereafter? If not then, when?  How is this determined? What volunteer expenses related to an action or proceeding will be covered prior to a IEEE BoD decision and under what conditions?

I will pose these questions to the SA and will keep you posted with their responses.  If you have additional questions on this topic, please let me know.  I will try to convene a meeting with SA on this specific topic at the upcoming SASB meetings in December as well.

Regards,

--Paul