Re: [802SEC] Proposed rule changes for March 2017

802 OM
On adding EC ICA: If we have an EC ICA group, does the chair of that activity become a non-voting EC member (similar to an EC Study Group Chair)?

On WG chair granting voting membership: the suggested change lacks details including actual text. The instances I can think of where membership was granted, it wasn't new membership - it was extending someone's voting membership when they would have lost it because they couldn't attend for an extended period (e.g.; due to a medical situation) or were no longer attending but were contributing remotely. Inability to attend due to visa issues or travel restrictions would be similar.

I don't see how the question of indemnification relates since indemnification is for participants, not voters. Someone can be a participant in many contexts such as being on the email reflectors or by submitting observer comments. If you are concerned about whether they have been informed of the patent policy, then something could be added to the the WG P&P about the chair being responsible for ensuring that anyone granted membership without attending meetings is informed of the patent policy and participation slides.

If the concern is accountability, I think it would be better to require including a report on those extended voting rights by the chair in the WG meeting minutes of each plenary.

WG OM

"letter" vs "electronic". The title of Clause 11 is "Actions requiring an electronic ballot". The proposed changes use "letter or electronic" in some cases and "electronic" alone in others. It seems highly unlikely that a paper letter ballot would be conducted now. In 6.1 and 7.2, delete "letter or" and in other places replace "letter" with "electronic".

Participant slide:

What is the reason for the change?

There is already text at the end of the slide about accepting the requirements so the editing instructions would result in a slide that ends:

By participating in IEEE 802 meetings, you accept these requirements.  If you do not agree to these policies then you shall not participate.

A participant in any IEEE 802 activity is deemed to accept all of the above requirements. The participant has an obligation to act and vote as an individual. The obligation to act and vote as an individual applies in all cases, regardless of any external commitments, agreements, contracts, or orders.
That seems unnecessarily repetitive. How about?

A participant in any IEEE 802 activity is deemed to accept all of the above requirements. The participant has an obligation to act and vote as an individual. The obligation to act and vote as an individual applies in all cases, regardless of any external commitments, agreements, contracts, or orders. If you do not agree to these policies then you shall not participate.