Re: [802SEC] +++ ECM (Early Close) +++ 802.22b ISO/IEC/JTC1 Response

Apurva-

I don't have a vote but I do have the privilege of commenting.
I DO NOT APPROVE of the the new offered wording:
  • However, the provision of  additional ciphers may enhance 802.22’s ability to address special use cases and will provide alternatives as the default cipher is compromised in the future.  The 802.22 WG will consider on their merits any proposals received for additional ciphers in the next revision of 802.22.

for the following reason.  The comment may be adequately addressed without discussing the particular merits (good or bad) of the referenced "cipher"
I suggest the following wording:
  • However, the provision of  additional ciphers may enhance 802.22’s ability to address special use cases or specific national or future market needs. and will provide alternatives as the default cipher is compromised in the future.  The 802.22 WG will consider on their merits any proposals received for additional ciphers in the next revision of 802.22.

In addition, I am not happy with the overall response as the response goes beyond the scope of the document being commented upon.  This is unnecessary for a complete response to the issue at hand and yields to the provocation by the commenter to widen the discussion beyond the document under review.  Therefore I think the response should be as I have edited below.

The China NB has requested that IEEE 802.1X-2010 related descriptions are removed from the text of IEEE 802.22b.

IEEE 802 declines to make this change because:

IEEE 802.22b does not contain any IEEE 802.1X-2010 related descriptions
There is no technical justification to remove any IEEE 802.1X-2010 related descriptions from any standard

While the base IEEE 802.22-2011 specification does reference various IEEE 802.1 specifications including IEEE 802.1X, IEEE 802.22b includes no such references.

IEEE 802 recognizes that the China NB has asserted this in past that man-in-the-middle (and other) attacks are possible against IEEE 802.1X based systems. However, the technical details of such an attack (or a demonstration of an attack) have not yet been supplied by the China NB. In the absence of technical substantiation of the claims, there is no justification to remove references to IEEE 802.1X-2010 from any standard

I hope the voting members of the SEC will support these changes.

Sincerely,

Geoff Thompson, Member Emeritus