[802SEC] Suggested changes to Chair's Guidelines

The Chair's Guidelines contains the following:

2.13 Duties of the Sponsor Officers

2.13.4 Treasurer's responsibilities

1) Establishment and maintenance of accounts

a) Credit card companies

b) Bank account

i) Checking account

ii) Credit card charge processing

c) Vendor accounts

2) Prepare Budget

a) Annual CS SAB submission

b) Periodic recommendations/justification for meeting fee changes

3) Collect and Disburse Money

a) Establish money handling procedures for meeting registration staff

i) Check and travelers check endorsement

ii) Credit card processing

iii) Temporary storage of receipts

iv) Daily cash-out

b) Credit card deposit transactions (one or two per meeting day)

c) Void/adjusted credit card transactions (one to three per meeting week

d) Storage of cash/check/etc during plenary meeting

e) Preparation of deposits (deposit execution)

f) Review of vendor invoices (hotel master account, A/V, etc)

g) Expense reimbursement payments (executive committee member between meeting expenses, items specifically approved by executive committee)

h) Deadbeat collections.

4) Reports

a) Statement of operations, balance sheet

i) Accounting period (meeting and following interval) at Monday executive committee and plenary

ii) Estimated statements at closing executive committee and plenary meetings

b) Reports of expenses to Computer Society

c) Deadbeat report (recommendations for removal of voting rights when needed)

5) Capital Equipment

a) Maintain records of owned equipment and assigned custodians

b) Procure equipment approved by executive committee

6) Reprogram credit card transaction terminal for each meeting

7) Maintain files of all financial transactions (database and journal entry)

8) Supply all necessary information to IEEE-SA auditor and provide oversight and guidance as needed.

These duties seem to have been developed for an older on-site registration process and workflow where the majority of meeting registration fees were paid on-site with cash, checks, and on-site credit card swipes.

The current registration process is very different; all credit card processing happens on-line through the registration web page, even if the attendee is on-site.  There is no credit card machine.  I think I have processed four checks for attendee registration in the past six years, and they were mailed in in advance.  I have seen exactly one normal registration in cash, but several student registrations have been in cash.  In addition, we did accept cash on the day of a social when we had additional tickets available.

In addition, the requirement to report expenses to the Computer Society seems to be no longer needed.

I would recommend the following replacement:

2.13 Duties of the Sponsor Officers

2.13.4 Treasurer's responsibilities

1) Establishment and maintenance of accounts

a) Credit card processing

b) Merchant Account

c) Bank account

d) Vendor accounts

2) Prepare Budget

a) Periodic recommendations/justification for meeting fee changes

3) Collect and Disburse Money

a) Set up on-line meeting registration system including credit card processing
a) Establish money handling procedures for meeting registration staff

i) Check and travelers check endorsement

ii) Temporary storage of receipts

iii) Cash-out

b) Void/adjusted credit card transactions no later than one week after the close of the session

c) Storage of cash/check/etc during plenary meeting

d) Preparation of deposits (deposit execution)

e) Deposit of checks and cash no later than seven days after the close of the session

f) Review of vendor invoices (hotel master account, A/V, etc)

g) Expense reimbursement payments (executive committee member between meeting expenses, items specifically approved by executive committee)

h) Deadbeat collections.

4) Reports

a) Statement of operations, balance sheet

i) Accounting period (meeting and following interval) at Monday executive committee and plenary

ii) Estimated statements at closing executive committee and plenary meetings

b) Reports of finances to IEEE through the mandated reporting system

c) Deadbeat report (recommendations for removal of voting rights when needed)

5) Capital Equipment

a) Maintain records of owned equipment and assigned custodians

b) Procure equipment approved by executive committee

6) Maintain files of all financial transactions (database and journal entry)

7) Supply all necessary information to IEEE-SA or other chosen auditor and provide oversight and guidance as needed.

--
Clint Chaplin
Principal Standards Engineer