[802SEC] Next 802.18 comments, DoT and V2X

Hello EC members,

For 802.18’s next possible comments, we will be looking at a Request for Comments from the US DoT on V2X.  The summary from the request is:

SUMMARY: Over the past several years, the Department of Transportation and its operating administrations have engaged in numerous activities related to connected vehicles, including vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V), vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I), and vehicle-to-pedestrian (V2P) communications, collectively referred to as “V2X” communications. Recently, there have been developments in core aspects of the communication technologies that could be associated with V2X. This notice requests comment on how these developments impact both V2X in general and the Department’s role in encouraging the integration of V2X.

For the full Request for Comments:

       The RFC can be found at www.transportation.gov/v2x

       Or in Mentor:  https://mentor.ieee.org/802.18/dcn/18/18-18-0166-00-0000-usdot-v2x-communciations-request-for-comments.docx

Comments are currently due 25 January, which means we need to approve in .18 by AM1 Thursday. We will see how this week goes with submissions of comment text etc.  Also note, there is a possibility there maybe an extension, just have not heard yet.

Why the email:

In the past I have tried to send the FYI’s to the chairs of the WGs that may have an interest.  It was suggested, what if I send to all EC members which would give you all a heads up a possible ballot is coming up.  (e.g. 5 day early close)

In addition, if anyone sees points in the consultation along with any text we might consider for the IEEE 802 comments, to pass along as the comments are being worked on could be helpful.

That was a busy point, if you have questions or suggestions on this, please let me know.

--

Regards,
Jay Holcomb