[802SEC] IEEE 802 LMSC Mission and Purpose Statement

Dear James,
Per the IEEE 802 Restructuring ad hoc recommendation, I have the action to add the Mission/Purpose statement to the 802 Chair’s Guideline.  It was drafted by Roger and Geoff, reviewed and accepted by the ad hoc on 16 February 2021.
I suggest the text be placed at the very beginning of the Chair’s Guideline as part of your Guideline restructuring action item.

The 802 Restructuring ad hoc also recommended it be placed on the ieee802.org home page to increase its public visibility.  I will place this on the agenda of the upcoming 04 May 2021 EC telecon as an information item.

Regards,

--Paul

802 Chair’s Guideline Section [tbd]:

Title: Mission and Purpose of the IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee

IEEE 802 develops and maintain standards specifying data link and physical layer protocols to support packet transmission and delivery among network-layer clients.

§  Protocols are specified for various physical channels with sufficient detail to allow multivendor interoperability across the interfaces to the communication medium.

§   Interoperability is also specified for transmission of network-layer packets via a set of data links.

§  Supplementary specifications detail related functionality, including control, management, channel coexistence, and power distribution.

§  Supporting outputs include future-looking documentation, standards body interactions, and regulatory contributions.