Re: [802SEC] IEEE SA Contributors Collection

Hi All,

Thank you for the comments and questions around the Contributor Collection platform.  I have compiled the comments & questions and responses below, please let us know if you have additional comments.  I'd be happy to join the next meeting with the appropriate staff to have further dialogue around this as it may be easier to discuss on a call.

Thank you again for the opportunity to present and for sharing your thoughts!
Erin

  • It could be misleading to someone reviewing the submissions in the Contributor Collection as they may think the content was incorporated into the standard.  The platform gives submittals a level of officiality and this may be misinterpreted by other groups.

    • Currently there is an FAQ that addresses that the submissions in the Contributor Collection doesn’t mean it has been incorporated in the draft standard.  However staff is looking to add additional disclaimer text where it would be more visible.  This will likely be on the main page of the Contributors Collection platform and we are also looking into possible additional disclaimers that would state that the content does not mean it was accepted into a standard.  Staff will follow up with the final disclaimers.

  • 802 contribution material is already made public via Mentor.

    • This platform is permitting authors to allow others to use their material (there 4 license options).  The upload page does include “original contribution URL” so for 802 the contributor can add the Mentor link here.

  • Can 802 opt out?

    • No, IEEE 802 cannot opt out. The Contributor (copyright owner) decides whether they want their material in the Contributors Collection.

    • If the submission of material in this manner doesn’t meet the 802 P&Ps you could advise the submitter they need to follow the 802 P&Ps to have the material reviewed.

      • Also, additional text has been added to the system email template that is sent when material is accepted into the system.  The text will advise the submitter that they have to meet the requirements of the P&Ps of the Working Group.

  • Proposal to limit the 802 Contributors Collection to previously presented material and allowing the title, abstract and URL.

    • The author decides what to do with the content as the owner.  If the submission doesn’t meet 802 P&Ps, the WG doesn’t have to accept it unless it meets the P&Ps.

  • If the submission is completely unrelated to the standard, is there a way to kick it back to the submitter?

    • No, the WG would just not include it.

  • Is Contributors Collection meant to replace Mentor?

    • No, this platform is not meant to replace Mentor.

  • Is Contributors Collection associated with a larger IEEE initiative for document repository?

    • No, this is not tied to an IEEE initiative for a document repository.

  • “Vetted & Validate”– There were concerns expressed around vetting and validating the material. Staff has reviewed the FAQs and training material and will update it to make it more clear that the WG does not vet the material for appropriateness.  IEEE SA staff will review the content for appropriateness and plagiarism before allowing it into the system.  Once the submission has been included in the system the WG can consider the material for possible inclusion in the draft.

  • It is not entirely clear as to why a standardization author would prefer Contributors Collection to, for example, techrxiv.org.

    • The intent is so it is known the contributions are related to Standards development work.