[802SEC] Interpretation of Chairs Guideline 4.6 Letters of Affiliation

Dear EC Members,

It has come to my attention that the Chairs Guideline 4.6 Letters of Affiliation is in need of interpretation to accommodate instances of multiple affiliations for self employed potential EC members such as myself and provide as much transparency as possible.

Currently Chairs Guideline 4.6 Letter of affiliation states:
All members of the Standards Committee that are confirmed or elected, prior to confirmation or
election, shall provide a signed letter that states their affiliation. This requirement may also be met by
having an explicit statement of affiliation in the endorsement letter described in the “Voting
membership” subclause of the IEEE LMSC Policies and Procedures. A statement of affiliation should
be in the form of “For the purposes of IEEE 802, <potential Standards Committee member's name>'s
affiliation is <affiliation>.”

I propose adding "(including WG/TAG Vice Chairs)" after "confirmed or elected" and I propose to add the following text after the first sentence: In this instance, the individual's affiliation(s) shall consist of all affiliation(s) associated with their participation in any standards development activity associated within the Standards Committee.
I also suggest modifying the last sentence to accommodate the potential for multiple affiliations.

The revised text will then read (insertions shown in bold):
All members of the Standards Committee that are confirmed or elected (including WG/TAG Vice Chairs), prior to confirmation or  election, shall provide a signed letter that states their affiliation. In this instance, the individual's affiliation(s) shall consist of all affiliation(s) associated with their participation in any standards development activity associated within the Standards Committee. This requirement may also be met by  having an explicit statement of affiliation in the endorsement letter described in the “Voting  membership” subclause of the IEEE LMSC Policies and Procedures. A statement of affiliation should  be in the form of “For the purposes of IEEE 802, <potential Standards Committee member's name>'s  affiliation(s) is(are) <affiliation(s)>.”

This should rectify the potential mis-interpretation that an LMSC Executive Committee (EC) member need only declare an affiliation solely associated with their LMSC EC position and not for any of their other LMSC standards development activities.

My rationale is that if an individual has the potential to influence actions of the Standards Committee as an EC member (as all confirmed positions have the potential to do), your Standards Committee affiliations are the sum of all the affiliations for all your Standards Committee activities.

This doesn't require an immediate response, but I do welcome your feedback on this topic before the closing EC meeting.

Regards,

--Paul