Re: [802SEC] 802 O&A balloting proposal

Thanks Bob for the correction.  I was thinking that comments from non-voters were "outside the ballot" and so rogue.  I prefer your view ��.

There are several things in the CSD that need to be revised based on actual practice.  That's another thread ��.

Ben

From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org> on behalf of ROBERT GROW <bobgrow@COX.NET>
Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2022 6:25 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG <STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: Re: [802SEC] 802 O&A balloting proposal

Ben,

The thread has forked, but I have to respond.  Geoff’s proposal is not advocating that the 802.1 Chair “zap” anyone with voting rights.  The proposal from Geoff was to grant 802.1 membership to a member (voter) of another 802 WG upon request.  My email with greater explanation proposes a way, using current rules, to grant 802.1 membership to those that request participation in the P802 WG ballot.  The qualification for the 802.1 Chair to do so is that the 802 O&A is relevant to all WGs.  (Doesn’t our CSD ask about compliance with the O&A?) Further, enabling and encouraging broad participation on the Std 802 revision would enable greater participation from experts in the different WGs that should be striving for compliance with the Q&A to better address the needs the different MACs being specified in our WGs.  (I thought I read in you Workshop summary that this was a continuing item for work.

My previous post (separate fork of the thread) largely agrees with your last paragraph about the questionable value of a vote on P802.  I would though suggest that you have a significant error.  WG ballot process is to be consistent with SA ballot process specified in the SA Operations Manual (LMSC OM).  To me that means that comments received before ballot close shall be considered (SASB OM).  (It isn’t optional as you write below!)

—Bob