From: *** IEEE stds-802-11-cac List *** <STDS-802-11-CAC@listserv.ieee.org> on behalf of Stanley, Dorothy <dorothy.stanley@HPE.COM>
Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2022 6:45 AM
To: STDS-802-11-CAC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG <STDS-802-11-CAC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: [STDS-802-11-CAC] Agenda request for 2022 November 802 Rules Committee: Removal of student registration restriction

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Chairs' Advisory Committee Reflector ---

Dear James and EC members,

I request that the following topic be added to the 802 Rules Committee meeting agenda for the upcoming 2022 November Plenary: Removal of Student registration restriction.

Please see the discussion below; let me know of any comments or questions.

Thanks,

Dorothy

==============================

Removal of Student registration restriction

Currently, student registration is supported for one time attendance only. See 4.2 in https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/17/ec-17-0120-33-0PNP-ieee-802-lmsc-chairs-guidelines.pdf

I propose modification of the current rules as shown below:

3) The student discount is based upon:
d) Student attendance will not count toward voting rights.
e) Each student can only receive this discount for one meeting. Attendance at future meetings
will require payment of the full fee or LMSC waiver.

 f) Students will not be included in the Membership Data Base for future meeting
announcements. Since students are expected to change status rapidly, we don't want to try to
keep track of their address.
g) Students might join a Working Group Chair's reflector, at the discretion of the Working
Group Chair.

Background/rationale:

- Have had a handful of students attending WG11 during the low-fee ($50) electronic-only period. One student contributed submissions.
- Would like to enable students to continue to attend; support student engagement and interest in 802 projects.
- Having a large number of students that is problematic to manage/ large financial impact has not been the case in past experience.

Dorothy Stanley

Hewlett Packard Enterprise

dorothy.stanley@hpe.com

+1 630-363-1389