Re: [802SEC] Sold out hotel.

Chad-

Not gonna happen (much) if the policy is clear.

If a person is registered at the meeting hotel, they have entered into a contract with the hotel that includes a duration of stay. It is the anticipation of meeting the terms of that contract (by providing the reservation number) that entitles one to the registration discount. If they leave the hotel early (early departure penalty or cancellation) the additional registration fee due puts the person on the deadbeat list for the amount. The amount due is not a "penalty." It is revocation of the discount privilege.

We need to make it clear that providing a reservation number is not a guarantee of entitlement to the discount. It only says we believe it is good evidence of your word that you will meet the terms of the reservation.

I find it a little strange that we didn't have a policy in place ahead of time for this particular venue. Hotel space and meeting room space has been a problem in Vancouver ever since we added wireless projects to the 802 mix. That drove us to split the venue between the Fairmont and the Hyatt.

Geoff